Summary: PAS fold
This is the Wikipedia entry entitled "PAS domain". More...
Does Pfam agree with the content of the Wikipedia entry ?
Editing Wikipedia articles
Before you edit for the first time
You should take a few minutes to view the following pages:
How your contribution will be recorded
PAS domain Edit Wikipedia article
The PAS domain is a protein domain contained in many signaling proteins where it functions as a signal sensor. PAS domains are found in a large number of organisms from bacteria to humans. The PAS domain was named after the three proteins in which it was first discovered:
- Per – period circadian protein
- Arnt – aryl hydrocarbon receptor nuclear translocator protein
- Sim – single-minded protein
- PDB 1y28; Dunham CM, Dioum EM, Tuckerman JR, Gonzalez G, Scott WG, Gilles-Gonzalez MA (July 2003). "A distal arginine in oxygen-sensing heme-PAS domains is essential to ligand binding, signal transduction, and structure". Biochemistry 42 (25): 7701–8. doi:10.1021/bi0343370. PMID 12820879.
- Ponting CP, Aravind L (November 1997). "PAS: a multi-functional domain family comes to light". Curr. Biol. 7 (11): R674–7. doi:10.1016/S0960-9822(06)00352-6. PMID 9382818.
- Hefti MH, Françoijs KJ, de Vries SC, Dixon R, Vervoort J (March 2004). "The PAS fold. A redefinition of the PAS domain based upon structural prediction". Eur. J. Biochem. 271 (6): 1198–208. doi:10.1111/j.1432-1033.2004.04023.x. PMID 15009198.
- Gilles-Gonzalez MA, Gonzalez G (February 2004). "Signal transduction by heme-containing PAS-domain proteins". J. Appl. Physiol. 96 (2): 774–83. doi:10.1152/japplphysiol.00941.2003. PMID 14715687.
PAS fold Provide feedback
The PAS fold corresponds to the structural domain that has previously been defined as PAS and PAC motifs . The PAS fold appears in archaea, eubacteria and eukarya.
Borgstahl GE, Williams DR, Getzoff ED; , Biochemistry 1995;34:6278-6287.: 1.4 A structure of photoactive yellow protein, a cytosolic photoreceptor: unusual fold, active site, and chromophore. PUBMED:7756254 EPMC:7756254
Hefti MH, Francoijs KJ, de Vries SC, Dixon R, Vervoort J; , Eur J Biochem 2004;271:1198-1208.: The PAS fold: a redefination of the PAS domain based upon structural prediction. PUBMED:15009198 EPMC:15009198
External database links
This tab holds annotation information from the InterPro database.
No InterPro data for this Pfam family.
- the number of sequences which exhibit this architecture
a textual description of the architecture, e.g. Gla, EGF x 2, Trypsin.
This example describes an architecture with one
Gladomain, followed by two consecutive
EGFdomains, and finally a single
- the UniProt description of the protein sequence
- the number of residues in the sequence
- the Pfam graphic itself.
Loading domain graphics...
This clan contains PAS domains that are found in a wide variety of bacterial signaling proteins.
The clan contains the following 14 members:CpxA_peri MEKHLA PAS PAS_10 PAS_11 PAS_12 PAS_2 PAS_3 PAS_4 PAS_5 PAS_6 PAS_7 PAS_8 PAS_9
We make a range of alignments for each Pfam-A family:
- the curated alignment from which the HMM for the family is built
- the alignment generated by searching the sequence database using the HMM
- Representative Proteomes (RPs) at 15%, 35%, 55% and 75% co-membership thresholds
- alignment generated by searching the NCBI sequence database using the family HMM
- alignment generated by searching the metagenomics sequence database using the family HMM
You can see the alignments as HTML or in three different sequence viewers:
- Pfam viewer
- an HTML-based viewer that uses DAS to retrieve alignment fragments on request
1Cannot generate PP/Heatmap alignments for seeds; no PP data available
Key: available, not generated, — not available.
Format an alignment
If you find these logos useful in your own work, please consider citing the following article:
Note: You can also download the data file for the tree.
Curation and family details
|Seed source:||Pfam-B_21375 (release 24.0)|
|Number in seed:||95|
|Number in full:||7329|
|Average length of the domain:||112.00 aa|
|Average identity of full alignment:||25 %|
|Average coverage of the sequence by the domain:||14.78 %|
|HMM build commands:||
build method: hmmbuild --amino -o /dev/null HMM SEED
search method: hmmsearch -Z 80369284 -E 1000 --cpu 4 HMM pfamseq
|Family (HMM) version:||3|
|Download:||download the raw HMM for this family|
Weight segments by...
Change the size of the sunburst
selected sequences to HMM
a FASTA-format file
- 0 sequences
- 0 species
How the sunburst is generated
Colouring and labels
Anomalies in the taxonomy tree
Missing taxonomic levels
Unmapped species names
Too many species/sequences
The tree shows the occurrence of this domain across different species. More...
You can use the tree controls to manipulate how the interactive tree is displayed:
- show/hide the summary boxes
- highlight species that are represented in the seed alignment
- expand/collapse the tree or expand it to a given depth
- select a sub-tree or a set of species within the tree and view them graphically or as an alignment
- save a plain text representation of the tree