Summary: Meiosis-specific protein Mei4
The Pfam group coordinates the annotation of Pfam families in Wikipedia, but we have not yet assigned a Wikipedia article to this family. If you think that a particular Wikipedia article provides good annotation, please let us know.
Meiosis-specific protein Mei4 Provide feedback
Martin-Castellanos C, Blanco M, Rozalen AE, Perez-Hidalgo L, Garcia AI, Conde F, Mata J, Ellermeier C, Davis L, San-Segundo P, Smith GR, Moreno S;, Curr Biol. 2005;15:2056-2062.: A large-scale screen in S. pombe identifies seven novel genes required for critical meiotic events. PUBMED:16303567 EPMC:16303567
Bonfils S, Rozalen AE, Smith GR, Moreno S, Martin-Castellanos C;, J Cell Sci. 2011; [Epub ahead of print]: Functional interactions of Rec24, the fission yeast ortholog of mouse Mei4, with the meiotic recombination-initiation complex. PUBMED:21429938 EPMC:21429938
External database links
This tab holds annotation information from the InterPro database.
InterPro entry IPR025888
Meiosis-specific protein MEI4 is required for meiotic induction of recombination, viable spore production and chromosome synapsis. It is a component of the MER2-MEI4-REC114 complex which seems to be required for meiotic double-strand break (DSB) formation [PUBMED:16783010, PUBMED:20551173]. In Schizosaccharomyces pombe it is known as Rec24 [PUBMED:16303567, PUBMED:21429938].
The mapping between Pfam and Gene Ontology is provided by InterPro. If you use this data please cite InterPro.
|Biological process||meiotic DNA double-strand break formation (GO:0042138)|
|DNA recombination (GO:0006310)|
- the number of sequences which exhibit this architecture
a textual description of the architecture, e.g. Gla, EGF x 2, Trypsin.
This example describes an architecture with one
Gladomain, followed by two consecutive
EGFdomains, and finally a single
- the UniProt description of the protein sequence
- the number of residues in the sequence
- the Pfam graphic itself.
Loading domain graphics...
We make a range of alignments for each Pfam-A family:
- the curated alignment from which the HMM for the family is built
- the alignment generated by searching the sequence database using the HMM
- Representative Proteomes (RPs) at 15%, 35%, 55% and 75% co-membership thresholds
- alignment generated by searching the NCBI sequence database using the family HMM
- alignment generated by searching the metagenomics sequence database using the family HMM
You can see the alignments as HTML or in three different sequence viewers:
- Pfam viewer
- an HTML-based viewer that uses DAS to retrieve alignment fragments on request
1Cannot generate PP/Heatmap alignments for seeds; no PP data available
Key: available, not generated, — not available.
Format an alignment
If you find these logos useful in your own work, please consider citing the following article:
Note: You can also download the data file for the tree.
Curation and family details
|Seed source:||Pfam-B_78600 (release 24.0)|
|Author:||Wood V, Coggill P, Eberhardt R|
|Number in seed:||6|
|Number in full:||65|
|Average length of the domain:||308.30 aa|
|Average identity of full alignment:||28 %|
|Average coverage of the sequence by the domain:||95.61 %|
|HMM build commands:||
build method: hmmbuild -o /dev/null HMM SEED
search method: hmmsearch -Z 80369284 -E 1000 --cpu 4 HMM pfamseq
|Family (HMM) version:||2|
|Download:||download the raw HMM for this family|
Weight segments by...
Change the size of the sunburst
selected sequences to HMM
a FASTA-format file
- 0 sequences
- 0 species
How the sunburst is generated
Colouring and labels
Anomalies in the taxonomy tree
Missing taxonomic levels
Unmapped species names
Too many species/sequences
The tree shows the occurrence of this domain across different species. More...
You can use the tree controls to manipulate how the interactive tree is displayed:
- show/hide the summary boxes
- highlight species that are represented in the seed alignment
- expand/collapse the tree or expand it to a given depth
- select a sub-tree or a set of species within the tree and view them graphically or as an alignment
- save a plain text representation of the tree