Summary: PgaD-like protein
The Pfam group coordinates the annotation of Pfam families in Wikipedia, but we have not yet assigned a Wikipedia article to this family. If you think that a particular Wikipedia article provides good annotation, please let us know.
PgaD-like protein Provide feedback
This family includes the PgaD protein from E. coli P69432. The homopolymer poly-beta-1,6-N-acetyl-D-glucosamine (beta-1,6-GlcNAc; PGA) serves as an adhesin for the maintenance of biofilm structural stability in eubacteria. The pgaABCD operon is required for its synthesis and export. It has been shown that PgaD is essential for this process .
Wang X, Preston JF 3rd, Romeo T;, J Bacteriol. 2004;186:2724-2734.: The pgaABCD locus of Escherichia coli promotes the synthesis of a polysaccharide adhesin required for biofilm formation. PUBMED:15090514 EPMC:15090514
Itoh Y, Rice JD, Goller C, Pannuri A, Taylor J, Meisner J, Beveridge TJ, Preston JF 3rd, Romeo T;, J Bacteriol. 2008;190:3670-3680.: Roles of pgaABCD genes in synthesis, modification, and export of the Escherichia coli biofilm adhesin poly-beta-1,6-N-acetyl-D-glucosamine. PUBMED:18359807 EPMC:18359807
External database links
This tab holds annotation information from the InterPro database.
InterPro entry IPR023829
This entry represents the poly-beta-1,6-N-acetyl-D-glucosamine (PGA) biosynthesis protein PgaD. This cytoplasmic membrane protein appears to be an auxiliary subunit to the PGA synthase PgaC () [PUBMED:15090514, PUBMED:18359807, PUBMED:19460094]. PgaD is esential for the process of PGA synthesis and export. PGA serves as an adhesin for the maintenance of biofilm structural stability in bacteria.
The mapping between Pfam and Gene Ontology is provided by InterPro. If you use this data please cite InterPro.
|Biological process||biofilm formation (GO:0042710)|
- the number of sequences which exhibit this architecture
a textual description of the architecture, e.g. Gla, EGF x 2, Trypsin.
This example describes an architecture with one
Gladomain, followed by two consecutive
EGFdomains, and finally a single
- the UniProt description of the protein sequence
- the number of residues in the sequence
- the Pfam graphic itself.
Loading domain graphics...
We make a range of alignments for each Pfam-A family:
- the curated alignment from which the HMM for the family is built
- the alignment generated by searching the sequence database using the HMM
- Representative Proteomes (RPs) at 15%, 35%, 55% and 75% co-membership thresholds
- alignment generated by searching the NCBI sequence database using the family HMM
- alignment generated by searching the metagenomics sequence database using the family HMM
You can see the alignments as HTML or in three different sequence viewers:
- Pfam viewer
- an HTML-based viewer that uses DAS to retrieve alignment fragments on request
1Cannot generate PP/Heatmap alignments for seeds; no PP data available
Key: available, not generated, — not available.
Format an alignment
If you find these logos useful in your own work, please consider citing the following article:
Note: You can also download the data file for the tree.
Curation and family details
|Number in seed:||23|
|Number in full:||3244|
|Average length of the domain:||124.70 aa|
|Average identity of full alignment:||42 %|
|Average coverage of the sequence by the domain:||88.02 %|
|HMM build commands:||
build method: hmmbuild -o /dev/null HMM SEED
search method: hmmsearch -Z 80369284 -E 1000 --cpu 4 HMM pfamseq
|Family (HMM) version:||2|
|Download:||download the raw HMM for this family|
Weight segments by...
Change the size of the sunburst
selected sequences to HMM
a FASTA-format file
- 0 sequences
- 0 species
How the sunburst is generated
Colouring and labels
Anomalies in the taxonomy tree
Missing taxonomic levels
Unmapped species names
Too many species/sequences
The tree shows the occurrence of this domain across different species. More...
You can use the tree controls to manipulate how the interactive tree is displayed:
- show/hide the summary boxes
- highlight species that are represented in the seed alignment
- expand/collapse the tree or expand it to a given depth
- select a sub-tree or a set of species within the tree and view them graphically or as an alignment
- save a plain text representation of the tree