Summary: Shigella flexneri OspC protein
The Pfam group coordinates the annotation of Pfam families in Wikipedia, but we have not yet assigned a Wikipedia article to this family. If you think that a particular Wikipedia article provides good annotation, please let us know.
This tab holds the annotation information that is stored in the Pfam database. As we move to using Wikipedia as our main source of annotation, the contents of this tab will be gradually replaced by the Wikipedia tab.
Shigella flexneri OspC protein Provide feedback
This family consists of the Shigella flexneri specific protein OspC. The function of this family is unknown but it is thought that Osp proteins may be involved in post invasion events related to virulence. Since bacterial pathogens adapt to multiple environments during the course of infecting a host, it has been proposed that Shigella evolved a mechanism to take advantage of a unique intracellular cue, which is mediated through MxiE, to express proteins when the organism reaches the eukaryotic cytosol .
Kane CD, Schuch R, Day WA Jr, Maurelli AT; , J Bacteriol 2002;184:4409-4419.: MxiE regulates intracellular expression of factors secreted by the Shigella flexneri 2a type III secretion system. PUBMED:12142411 EPMC:12142411
External database links
This tab holds annotation information from the InterPro database.
InterPro entry IPR010366
This family consists of the Shigella flexneri specific protein OspC. The function of this family is unknown but it is thought that Osp proteins may be involved in postinvasion events related to virulence. Since bacterial pathogens adapt to multiple environments during the course of infecting a host, it has been proposed that Shigella evolved a mechanism to take advantage of a unique intracellular cue, which is mediated through MxiE, to express proteins when the organism reaches the eukaryotic cytosol [PUBMED:12142411].
- the number of sequences which exhibit this architecture
a textual description of the architecture, e.g. Gla, EGF x 2, Trypsin.
This example describes an architecture with one
Gladomain, followed by two consecutive
EGFdomains, and finally a single
- the UniProt description of the protein sequence
- the number of residues in the sequence
- the Pfam graphic itself.
Loading domain graphics...
We make a range of alignments for each Pfam-A family:
- the curated alignment from which the HMM for the family is built
- the alignment generated by searching the sequence database using the HMM
- Representative Proteomes (RPs) at 15%, 35%, 55% and 75% co-membership thresholds
- alignment generated by searching the NCBI sequence database using the family HMM
- alignment generated by searching the metagenomics sequence database using the family HMM
You can see the alignments as HTML or in three different sequence viewers:
- Pfam viewer
- an HTML-based viewer that uses DAS to retrieve alignment fragments on request
1Cannot generate PP/Heatmap alignments for seeds; no PP data available
Key: available, not generated, — not available.
Format an alignment
If you find these logos useful in your own work, please consider citing the following article:
Note: You can also download the data file for the tree.
Curation and family details
|Seed source:||Pfam-B_10333 (release 9.0)|
|Number in seed:||3|
|Number in full:||72|
|Average length of the domain:||245.20 aa|
|Average identity of full alignment:||77 %|
|Average coverage of the sequence by the domain:||66.94 %|
|HMM build commands:||
build method: hmmbuild -o /dev/null HMM SEED
search method: hmmsearch -Z 23193494 -E 1000 --cpu 4 HMM pfamseq
|Family (HMM) version:||6|
|Download:||download the raw HMM for this family|
Weight segments by...
Change the size of the sunburst
selected sequences to HMM
a FASTA-format file
- 0 sequences
- 0 species
How the sunburst is generated
Colouring and labels
Anomalies in the taxonomy tree
Missing taxonomic levels
Unmapped species names
Too many species/sequences
The tree shows the occurrence of this domain across different species. More...
You can use the tree controls to manipulate how the interactive tree is displayed:
- show/hide the summary boxes
- highlight species that are represented in the seed alignment
- expand/collapse the tree or expand it to a given depth
- select a sub-tree or a set of species within the tree and view them graphically or as an alignment
- save a plain text representation of the tree