UL97 Provide feedback
This family represents a conserved region within viral UL97 phosphotransferases. UL97 participates in the phosphorylation of the nucleoside analog ganciclovir (GCV) to produce GCV-monophosphate .
Rawlinson WD, Zeng F, Farrell HE, Cunningham AL, Scalzo AA, Booth TW, Scott GM; , Virology 1997;233:358-363.: The murine cytomegalovirus (MCMV) homolog of the HCMV phosphotransferase (UL97(pk)) gene. PUBMED:9217058 EPMC:9217058
External database links
This tab holds annotation information from the InterPro database.
InterPro entry IPR010615
The gene product form the gene UL97 is a serine/threonine kinase. Although it can phosphorylates the antiviral drug ganciclovir [PUBMED:9217058], its biological function is the phosphorylation of its natural viral and cellular protein substrates which affect viral replication at many levels.
The kinase phosphorylates eukaryotic elongation factor 1delta, the carboxyl terminal domain of the large subunit of RNA polymerase II, the retinoblastoma tumour suppressor and lamins A and C performing a similar function to the cdc2/cyclin-dependent kinase 1. The activity of UL97 appear to stimulate the cell cycle to support viral DNA synthesis, enhance the expression of viral genes, promote virion morphogenesis and facilitate the egress of mature capsids from the nucleus [PUBMED:19434630].
The mapping between Pfam and Gene Ontology is provided by InterPro. If you use this data please cite InterPro.
|Molecular function||ATP binding (GO:0005524)|
|protein kinase activity (GO:0004672)|
|Biological process||viral process (GO:0016032)|
- the number of sequences which exhibit this architecture
a textual description of the architecture, e.g. Gla, EGF x 2, Trypsin.
This example describes an architecture with one
Gladomain, followed by two consecutive
EGFdomains, and finally a single
- the UniProt description of the protein sequence
- the number of residues in the sequence
- the Pfam graphic itself.
Loading domain graphics...
This superfamily includes the Serine/Threonine- and Tyrosine- protein kinases as well as related kinases that act on non-protein substrates.
The clan contains the following 20 members:ABC1 APH APH_6_hur Choline_kinase DUF1679 DUF2252 EcKinase Fructosamin_kin Kdo Kinase-like KIND PIP49_C Pkinase Pkinase_Tyr Pox_ser-thr_kin RIO1 Seadorna_VP7 UL97 WaaY YrbL-PhoP_reg
We make a range of alignments for each Pfam-A family:
- the curated alignment from which the HMM for the family is built
- the alignment generated by searching the sequence database using the HMM
- Representative Proteomes (RPs) at 15%, 35%, 55% and 75% co-membership thresholds
- alignment generated by searching the NCBI sequence database using the family HMM
- alignment generated by searching the metagenomics sequence database using the family HMM
You can see the alignments as HTML or in three different sequence viewers:
- Pfam viewer
- an HTML-based viewer that uses DAS to retrieve alignment fragments on request
1Cannot generate PP/Heatmap alignments for seeds; no PP data available
Key: available, not generated, — not available.
Format an alignment
If you find these logos useful in your own work, please consider citing the following article:
Note: You can also download the data file for the tree.
Curation and family details
|Seed source:||Pfam-B_1747 (release 10.0)|
|Author:||Vella Briffa B|
|Number in seed:||2|
|Number in full:||250|
|Average length of the domain:||161.40 aa|
|Average identity of full alignment:||62 %|
|Average coverage of the sequence by the domain:||39.13 %|
|HMM build commands:||
build method: hmmbuild -o /dev/null HMM SEED
search method: hmmsearch -Z 80369284 -E 1000 --cpu 4 HMM pfamseq
|Family (HMM) version:||8|
|Download:||download the raw HMM for this family|
Weight segments by...
Change the size of the sunburst
selected sequences to HMM
a FASTA-format file
- 0 sequences
- 0 species
How the sunburst is generated
Colouring and labels
Anomalies in the taxonomy tree
Missing taxonomic levels
Unmapped species names
Too many species/sequences
The tree shows the occurrence of this domain across different species. More...
You can use the tree controls to manipulate how the interactive tree is displayed:
- show/hide the summary boxes
- highlight species that are represented in the seed alignment
- expand/collapse the tree or expand it to a given depth
- select a sub-tree or a set of species within the tree and view them graphically or as an alignment
- save a plain text representation of the tree